Friday, January 27, 2006

Oh My Oprah.....

For the life of me I will never understand how Oprah (last name not needed) has become the American Icon. Without a doubt, she truly is. I am not even going to argue the point, she is an icon! It would be senseless to argue about it. Proof of this was yesterday, when every news show, every newspaper, every web site featured O's(full first name not needed) confrontation with author, James Frey. Only a true icon can demand that type of attention. But I have to ask, why? What has (I don't even have to say the name) done to earn such stature?

It's not to say I don't like Oprah, there is nothing really displeasurable about her or her show (well maybe we could do without all the tears), but really she is just a daytime talk show host. So what? You can't say she invented the genre, Phil Donohue did. You can't say she took the genre to a new direction (for lack of a better word), Jerry Springer did. She is not even a very good interviewer, recently she had Anthony Hopkins read the yellow pages to her, how original! I believe Johnny Carson had Eydie Gorme sing the yellow pages 30 years ago. Nonetheless, here we were yesterday getting Oprah Overload Disease (you won't find the cure here).....Oprah apologizing for being duped, outraged that she was lied to and shocked that she would be criticized for saying that the truth wasn't important. Indeed, shocked about being criticized, now that's an icon for you.

No comments: